Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Words that start with S






Every visit to Spokane makes me think of Sharon.
She has been gone for almost three years, but, she  will always be the reason to visit Spokane.

And, a visit to the farm comes first. 




So many memories. But, for now, we are just going to absorb the peace,  tranquility and amazing beauty around  the homestead.  




























\


OK... I did not get a full picture of the house..  The place where three generations were born and raised. But the other buildings have been there and are part of the memory .  One of those buildings was the spot for some grand parties.... country style... Sharon knew how to entertain.  



                              Chaps 








( here is a picture of Sharon at Chaps...probably the last time and with very good friends.)

Saturday morning....


… the morning to remember.

We stopped at Chaps to see if Celeste was there.
And….she was….
(Celeste owns Chaps, is a nurse, and she was the lady / nurse who saw our sister Sharon collapse in the parking lot outside her restaurant.  She stayed with Sharon until the aid car came to take her to the hospital.   But there were details that we did not know.)

The line into Chaps for breakfast was outside, and almost to the street. It is Saturday morning and folks love the breakfast at Chaps.    We walked inside and spotted Celeste chatting with the musician we recognized from last night. She was responding to something he was not happy about.
As she was heading back to business, Darrell walked up to her and she immediately came to us. He re-introduced himself ( they had already met, but I had never seen her though we had come to Chaps at least 5 times since June 2016  )
As soon as she came to meet me, I could not hold back. Her arms were open. 
No  words, just a hug. Such a huge hug that would not let go. Was it Celeste or was it me…
I told her that I had been wanting to thank her for being with Sharon and caring for her.
( eyes swimming )

Celeste said:   I remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember what I was wearing.  A young man, Sean, came to help. He said he had just finished training to be a life guard.  He wanted to take over.  I told him to  take Sharon’s head in his hands, hold it and talk to her. Tell her your name and just talk to her.   So, he did. He held her head . He introduced himself and just talked to her until the medics came. 
I was concerned that she had hit her head and made sure that the hospital knew to check out any injuries beyond her M.I.   I called the hospital every day.  I have been wanting to meet the family.  
Within an hour, there was a similar situation. I was able to help there too. There was a different end to that story. 

I wish I could have done more.  I will always remember.


For me… I thought that meeting Celeste would bring closure ( what is that anyway?) but instead, it brought  connection.  There was a real concern and now a  lasting bond between us.   During the brief visit that day, I could see several people wanting to chat with her. One little girl came up and Celeste bent down and hugged her.  I have to believe that this lady, Celeste, has a genuine admiration for others and the feeling is mutual.

 This is Celeste...and Darrell



Celeste said she wanted to give me something as a token of our bond.  So, what better than a mug from Chaps. 





Thank you Celeste

Thank you Lord for people who care 





Spokane and Sharon... 
they always go together....they always will   

1 comment:

klamb said...

I just got caught up on your latest blog...

great story. I had heard that someone was with Sharon when she had her event,but didn't realize it was Celeste!

Great memories, and great food too!

I will ask Don to help me pick out Grandma's house on the farm, where we stored our few things while he was in Viet Nam.