Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Garage Sale

Hi Marti... 

You had to be there
I wish you had been there
but since you weren't...
I'll try to capture the "fun"  

Well, it is a garage sale our daughter has every summer.  The whole neighborhood will participate sometimes.   ( Well, let's just say many families, that  might be closer) 
This year about 4 families opened their garages and the sales began !

The first surprise sale:

We had a large box of straws.  Drinking straws. 
ok,  here is a picture


We had a box of maybe 20 bags.  The first customer who spotted them held  up a bag  and said she would like to buy one.  The lady next to her liked the idea and snagged a bag too.  Then, another lady picked up the whole box and said she wanted all of them.
Straws !   The big item this year!   Who knew ?  
Well, some restaurants are not allowing them any longer, but that is another story.
Me?   I was smiling ( not long ago, someone laughed at the idea of selling straws, but that is another story )


Then there was the computer printer ink.   There were two packages of HP ink.  You know, the size that costs about $30. each.   How did I end of with sizes that do not fit any of the three printers in my house?   You try not to think about it and put a price on them and bring them to the garage sale.
Sure enough, there was a guy, willing to take the risk.   He was not sure if it was the right size, but for $15 for two packages ?   He did it.
Me?  I will always carry the size of ink I need ..in my wallet !! or order on line while the numbers are in front of me. Lesson earned. 


No picture here, but try to imagine a lovely white wool jacket. Anne Klein.   I had just given myself permission to part with one of my two white winter jackets.  $10. is not a typical price for a garage sale, but this is the first day of the  sale, I had worn it twice at the most,  and I was not sure I was really ready to part with it.     
A customer offered $4.     It was easy to say "No".   Then she offered  $5.    I said "$6."    She said "No".   
Tiffany ( my girl ) gave me an approving look and put the coat back on the rack.           Minutes,  I am not exaggerating, minutes later, a very lovely lady was trying the coat on.  Tiffany whispered " I think you have a buyer"..   Sure enough!  Lovely lady added it to her "finds".  On her arm was a Cabi sweater ( very nice ) and she also found a box of small china cups and saucers  to use with her grands for tea parties.
Me?:  Go ahead, and hold to your price, at least for the first day of the sale.



OK, maybe you had to be there, and I wish you  had been there. 
 We always have a fun time.  It takes some planning, work, commitment, food, ( good food and ice cream ) 
But, we are planning the Cherry Crest event....maybe September.
And BTW we still have four bags of straws !  "Why"  you ask? I don't want to talk about it. 

All are welcome !

And, we almost always come home with something that we did not bring


Not exactly sure where it will end up, but it had my name on it.





I live an exciting life 



No comments: