Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Fun things happen at the Library Book Shop

Well, today, we had to make our own fun because no one wanted to buy "our" books.

We are Friends of the Library !!   We are all volunteers who accept donations ( bring yours by anytime  10:15 - 4:00 daily )  then we mark them, and then we display them in our very nice shop, just outside the main doors to the Bellevue Library.  Then we sell them.

But not this morning.  
And that's ok.   My team player is one of my favorites and we can chat about almost anything.  One big difference is that she knows and reads many of the latest books.  She is in a book club.  She is very smart.  
I do not read novels.  I appreciate getting a recommendation like

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks: Rebecca Skloot

,  Very amazing story



Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century: Peter Graham    Hard to believe this very famous writer was convicted of murdering her friends mother when she was 15.  


The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up:  Marie Kondo   This one I have read about 1/2 way.  But that is another part of the story. 


Though we are different we are a great team.   And today, we had plenty of time to catch up on what happened during the holidays.   


I told her about my girl Anita, who was in the middle of  "decluttering" her house . Did you guess ?   She had heard about Marie Kondo and her book because Marie now has a program on Net Flex on that very subject...decluttering... yes it's really a word.    Anita has the book on hold at the library, so I thought I would check the shop shelves to see if we had a copy I could buy for her.   Nothing in the shop. And my team player was not surprised.  She had seen the Net Flex show too and knew it is very popular.
Now it is my turn to go to the marking room and find a few more history and cookbooks ( a another one of my favorites, but that is another story  ) to restock the shop shelves .  A few ladies were busy with a great stack of donations  ( you are still welcome to bring in yours).
"There is just one more book I am looking for, The Magic of Tidying up "  I announced   ( ok, i did not know the real title then, so I am just  telling the truth ). 
Nancy shot her hand up in the air, with that very book in her hand !   " I was just making it for the shop".   

I was thrilled.    $1.50 for a $16.99 book that looked like it had not been "used"

The ladies began to "blame " the book for all the donations. 

  People are decluttering and that means they are parting with books.

( seems like every time I bring up her name, people have heard of her, seen her, read her book.  Now I see that if you google her on U-tube you can see it free...sounds like an ad for U-tube, but I refuse to pay to view....for now) 

End of story number one, almost

Sunday evening our neighbor, young mom, came to visit. She had also seen this popular program !
Before she left, she stood up in my living room and said.
 " This is what I would like my home to look like. There are memories here.    This "Program" is for young people like me who just go out and buy things that we really don't need.  You have a collection of things that have meaning. "

Speechless....so to speak..






No comments: