Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

who bakes on a Sunday afternoon ....

well, this might be a first,  but, I was determined to make my old standby recipe to take to Texas.

Here is what happened.

Saturday afternoon I put together all the ingredients for Scottish Shortbread, covered it with a towel and left for a few hours.  I was surprised that the dough was pretty dry, but worked it up a bit and rolled it out and cut out hearts and baked them.   I was more than surprised when I pulled them out of the oven an hour later and found them to be.....let's just say not worth sharing.
The good part is,  I learned a lesson.


Sunday afternoon and I was ready again. Thought there might be someone out there who does not know what goes in to real Scottish Shortbread, so here goes.



All the ingredients are piled on the bread board
That is a pound of butter 

Ingredients:  6 teacups flour
                     2 teacups corn starch
                     2 teacups sugar
                     1 pound butter, room temperature
                     2 tablespoons Crisco
                     from by friend Zena, dated April 1983
                   


You work it all together with your hands
wishing your grandchildren were around to help

This can take 20 minutes to 1/2 hour 

before it sticks together, it get crumbly

Then you roll the dough out, about 1/3 inch thick  
You bake these babies for at least an hour at 275 


Ta -Da ! 
Time to come on over, the coffee is ready 


p.s.  this is like my dilly bread. When the family saw them in the making they said "Oh we must be having company" 
They do appreciate them more now than when they were kids.  

No comments: