Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

French Women don't get Fat/Neither does Julia Childs
I know because I read the book " French Women don't Get Fat"
and learned at least 5 things
1. Savor your food - don't rush
2. Order dessert, share it, leave some
3. Drink more water
4. Walk
5. can't remember, If you read the book, can you
let me know if you learned something?
and I know about Julia because I have her cook book, I saw the movie, and I made Beef Bourguignon
IT TOOK HOURS
When I think of Julia Childs I am thinking of Meryl Streep. I never saw the real Julia child, we did not have a T.V. We still don't, well, Darrell does, but he doesn't know Julia or Meryl. Be he ate the Beef Bourguignon and raved. He better rave. It took hours. An hour to shop. I got everything, except chuck bacon. Never heard of it. And she asked for small onions, but she meant pearl onions. How can you saute 18 to 24 small onions, unsliced, in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil. It can't be done. But aside from that, I kept to the recipe. On Thursday evening I spent an hour and a half preparing. ( we are now up to 2 1/2 hours). Then on Friday, I started at 3:00 and did not finish until 6:00. ( ok, I did take a little break about 5:00 ) Step by step - 4 minutes in the oven, take it out and too the meat , another 4 minutes in the oven - Really!
And just writing about it uses up calories --
But the coffee is ready , so is the "fudge", and I am not French.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Oh, I loved that movie! Wow, and you MADE something of hers! Did you have fun? It sounds "dewishes" (as my daughter would say)!

justbenme said...

I loved the movie too, and I did have fun just thinking about those ladies while I was putting the dish together. But it took so long. I am not sure I will try that version again. Thanks for commenting! I checked out your blog - looks like you have fun with your family.
Blessings
Kathy